Blog

Do Agents Still Hold the Gatekeeper Key to Getting Published?

 
By Jody Hedlund, @JodyHedlund

The world of publishing has changed radically over the past few years. With the evolution of ebooks and indie publishing, everything that was once tried-and-true has been shaken. As the construction dust settles, many are trying to figure out what remains of the old traditional way of doing things and also what is new and necessary.

Of course, one of the things many writers want to know is, "Do I still need an agent?" 

In the not-too-distant past it seemed that everyone was talking about getting an agent. In fact, when I first started my agent hunt about six years ago, the frenzy was at an almost ridiculous high. Most agents already had full client loads but occasionally bestowed their favor upon a giddy new writer plucked out of the slush pile.

As agents began blogging and tweeting, aspiring writers scrambled to get noticed in the new medium. At times among the cyber-hallways, it felt as though there was a "high school popularity contest" mentality both among aspiring writers and between agents.

The few writers who got an agent's attention were considered lucky and special. Because like it or not, everyone knew that agents held the gatekeeper key to getting published. Most publishers didn't have the time or staff to weed through manuscripts of all the wannabe's. So, for the most part, they let agents do the gate-keeping job for them.

But alas, the hype over agents has died down (finally!). The popularity contests are over (thank goodness!).

However, new, unagented writers are left scratching their heads wondering what to do. Do they really need an agent? And if they get agent, what would that person do for them anyway?

If you're planning to self-publish, then no, you don't need an agent. At least not right away. When you've written multiple books and they're hitting best-seller lists, then you can possibly consider acquiring an agent to help you expand your reach into traditional publishing, foreign print, and even film. (Sidenote: I'm not self-published, so I can only share what I've heard from indie friends. For those who are self-published and agented, feel free to chime in with the benefits you've experienced with your agent.)

For those still seeking traditional publication with a bigger publisher, yes, you likely WILL still need an agent to get a book deal. Once in a while, writers make connections with publishers at writing conferences. Every now and then, indie writers catch the attention of publishers if they have high sales like Hugh Howey with his Wool series (which I'm currently reading and enjoying). (Read his fascinating publishing story here on WD.)

But for the most part, traditional publishers still usually find authors from manuscripts submitted by trusted agents. Savvy knowledgeable agents not only broker deals but also provide much needed career direction (which I could expound on in a whole other post). The truth is, some agents are better at their job than others, and new writers should be careful to get feedback from agents' current clients before signing.

So how does a writer go about getting an agent? Sometimes writers connect with agents at conferences or get referrals from agented friends. But the most common way to get an agent is still through direct querying. Most agents have query guidelines on their website for exactly WHAT to submit (usually a query letter containing a synopsis and then a specific number of sample pages), HOW to submit (usually via email), and WHERE (usually to an agency email address). Follow those guidelines as carefully as possible. 

If a writer's skill is honed, if a story is well-told and captivating, and it holds general market appeal, it WILL eventually garner an agent's attention. From my many years of critiquing for new writers, I've learned that it's VERY easy to spot a talented writer and a great story. The problem is that many writers think they're at the graduate level before they really are and so end up querying an agent too soon in their writing career (like after their first book or two). Most successfully published writers will attest that they had to write several books before their writing skill reached a publishable quality.

My advice for writers who are beginning to query is this: Send it out and see what happens. If the story doesn't "hook" an agent right away, keep trying. But in the meantime continue to write AND improve your writing skills. Writing and learning must always go hand in hand.

The traditional publication process still takes lots of patience. But the good thing is that it's not the ONLY option available to writers. Our hopes for a writing career don't all hinge upon it anymore. If the traditional door stays shut, the future is still wide open.

So what about you? Do you still think agents are necessary in today's changing publishing industry?

39 comments:

  1. One thing about the agent search was invaluable for me: it forced me to hone my craft and fine-tune my manuscript. And my agent helped further refine the book until it was ready to submit. She was also my biggest cheerleader when I decided to indie publish last year.

    I agree with your assessment. If you plan to indie publish, no, you don't need one. BUT you should edit your material as if you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the children's market, you don't necessarily need an agent, but I can't imagine trying this publishing thing without one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to become an acquisitions editor one day (preferably in the near future), but I'm a self-published author and I know far more self-pubbed authors than I do traditionally-pubbed ones. Everyone has different feelings about what works for them, but I do think having an agent would be beneficial. They have a certain level of expertise that authors may not have. This isn't to say authors don't know, but agents do other, more specific things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My advice for writers who are beginning to query is this: Send it out and see what happens. If the story doesn't "hook" an agent right away, keep trying. But in the meantime continue to write AND improve your writing skills." I couldn't agree more! As I was submitting to agents and editors, I was always working on another book, practicing, and learning. By the time I'd discovered that no one liked the first book, I had the second one ready, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it your second book that finally landed you an agent? And did you ever get a chance to polish the first and have it published? How did you know it was time to let the first book rest and begin submitting for another?

      Delete
  5. Great post! As an author who was agented and is no longer (because I went indie), I would say it definitely depends on your plans. As an indie author, we can stay plugged in and up-to-date on marketing, etc., sans agent. We can work internationally on some things (like selling books to museums, international book clubs, etc....even translations if we want to pay for them). We can book our own audiobook narrators, cover artists, and editors. But if you have a book you feel needs to be traditionally published, an experienced agent is the way to go. And I totally agree with Becky Wade--in the interim, while you're querying (hopefully not exclusively!), write! It keeps your mind busy while waiting to hear from agents, and later, from publishers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't queried any agents yet, but I'd say they still play an important role in the whole process, especially because they are more likely to have connections and knowledge that new writers might not have yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be terrified about signing a publishing contract without an agent. I feel like I don't understand enough about the publishing world to make the best decision on my own. Also, I'd love someone to partner with me on defining my writing career.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bangla Subtitle Download your favorite movie Bangla Subtitle. We help to download srt file from our website. We have a large collection of Bangla Sub. We're daily updating subtitles. So keep visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Visit canon’s official site – ij.start.canon/ts3122 and download appropriate software and drivers one windows PC.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spring cleaning is the practice of thoroughly cleaning a house in the springtime. The practice of spring cleaning is especially prevalent in climates with a cold winter. In many cultures, annual cleaning occurs at the end of the year, which may be in spring or winter, depending on the calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's incredibly simple to use. There's no need to pay extra for these features in another app. This is something I'd like to share with my friends.
    https://softhound.net/passfab-android-unlocke

    ReplyDelete
  13. see website
    https://windowsactivators.org/wondershare-video-converter-ultimate-crack/

    ReplyDelete

  14. I bookmarked your site a few days ago because your blog makes me want to read more.
    https://crackmypc.com/renee-passnow-crack/

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are grateful that you provided us with such a beautiful and enlightening post to read. It was a topic that held a lot of attention. Much though this is often an intriguing subject, the interesting way in which you have written about it makes it even more engaging. Once again, I am grateful to you for all you do.

    You can see the list of all Bangla subtitle movies through our site. Bangla Subtitle Download or SRT file Download through ""AnySubtitle.com"""

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cherish how you expressed yourself. You've made some excellent points here. Thank you for providing such valuable information. I learned something from your blog. Keep spreading the word.
    Cómo presentar un divorcio de mutuo acuerdo en Virginia
    Leesburg Divorce Lawyer

    ReplyDelete

  17. I was very pleased to find this web-site.

    ReplyDelete

  18. I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Extremely decent blog and articles. I am realy extremely glad to visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Presently I am discovered which I really need.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like it when people get together and share views. Great website.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wan’t going to comment as this posts a bit old now, but just wanted to say thanks.

    ReplyDelete

  24. This is very helpful, especially for those who are planning to start their new career

    ReplyDelete
  25. I will be very happy to discover this kind of post very useful personally.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I enjoyed browsing this weblog posts. Hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am satisfied with your great work. Keep on writing, keep us updated!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like this website. I appreciate the effort you made. Keep on blogging..

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very informative idea. There's a lot that can learn here. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for sharing this excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I found a lot of interesting things on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So wonderful to discover somebody with some original thoughts on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  33. These guys are hilarious. We actually installed a roof on one of their homes in Texas! Great guys.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Appreciating the time and effort you put into your site
    and detailed information you offer.

    ReplyDelete
  35. “I like to look at an article that makes individuals think

    ReplyDelete

© All the articles in this blog are copyrighted and may not be used without prior written consent from the author. You may quote without permission if you give proper credit and links. Thank you!