Events Page for where I’ll be around cyberland!).
But . . . I did have one signing at the small independent Christian bookstore in my town. Although I don't have the space to post pictures of everyone that came to my signing, I'm plastering a few in this post because I love my local friends so much! They’ve become some of my biggest supporters and encouragers. THANK YOU!!
|Sarah & Leah Hickman|
|Carrie & Maddie Bouma|
|Jessie Watson & her sweet daughter|
|Marilyn Schubert & Molly Black|
In preparing for this latest signing, here are 10 simple things I did to make it a smashing success:
1. Relax and have fun. Yes, I know, that’s easier said than done!
2. Take the focus off yourself & put it on the reader. Go into the day looking for ways to bless others (that helps immensely to calm the nerves!).
3. Wear a name tag that says “Author” somewhere very visible. That prevents customers from asking you where the bathroom is.
4. Send out personal invitations prior to the big day. This is one of the best ways to make sure you have a steady stream of visitors.
5. Be prepared with a couple of different “signing” notes. I like to write a little note to the reader when I sign the book. Ahead of time, I write up several types of encouraging notes to include, usually something that fits with the theme or message of the book.
6. Gather an email list if possible for your newsletter. Some authors put out a clipboard for readers to sign. Others use slips of paper along with drawings.
|Morgan & Janel Gradowski|
8. Make each contact with a reader personal. Find out their name. Introduce yourself. Shake hands. Spend a minute or two (if possible) chatting and asking them questions.
|Dan & Becky Barnes|
10. Mingle if possible. I love being able to get up, walk around, hug friends, and take pictures. We’re not condemned to remain behind our tables the whole time! Of course I did have lines at times and didn’t have the luxury of mingling too long with any one person, but I still wanted to let everyone know how much I appreciated them and their visit.
There you have it! Do you have any other book signing tips? Please share! And tell me, do you still like book signings? Or do you think they’re a thing of the past?
WIN a copy of The Doctor's Lady at one of these blog tour stops!
Monday 9/5: SIX book giveaways at my critique partner Keli Gwyn's blog! (And learn a little bit more about our critique partnership.) (Also pick up Contest Puzzle Piece #2 there!)
Monday 9/5: Swing by My Book Addiction & More blog and find out how long it took me to write The Doctor's Lady!
Tuesday 9/6: On Lacie Nezbeth's blog, find out what possession I would have a hard time leaving behind if I were traveling West in a covered wagon.
And don't forget to enter my BE A TRAILBLAZER Contest!