If we're planning to blog to build connections, then how can we blog most effectively to achieve that goal?
I follow quite a number of blogs and I know many of you do too. Let's consider for a moment what kinds of things make a blog attractive to a reader:
- They're not too long, have short paragraphs, and are easy to read.
- The content applies to something we're dealing with.
- They contain a question that we can comment about.
- They may offer words of encouragement.
Can you think of other things that make a blog attractive to a reader?
As I was considering which blogs are most attractive to me, I realized I like the blogs of people that I sense are genuine. Here are a few ways I think bloggers can be genuine:
- If someone leaves a comment on your blog for the first time, take the time to go over to their blog to thank them and leave a return comment.
- If someone signs up to be a follower on your blog, take a few minutes to go to their blog, and sign up to follow theirs (if appropriate).
- If someone leaves a comment on your blog, attempt to give a personal response to let them know you read what they said and appreciate their input. (or email a response)
- Get to know the people in your blogging community personally; show genuine interest in them and the things in their lives.
What are other ways you believe bloggers can be genuine in their networking?
So many new writers who are focused on the goal of "getting there" see networking as trying to win the favor of big name authors, the top editors, and the most prestigious agents. And as charming as they try to be, it is obvious that genuine concern is lacking. Those we are trying to impress can sense that we only want to be in their circle to further our own careers. Instead of trying to smooze these big names, form relationships with people who are at the same developmental stage as we are on this journey. The relationships will be genuine and as the success of the group grows, you will find a network already in place. And beyond that, you will have true friendships that will last a lifetime.
So, what do you think? How can we blog most effectively? Here are my questions again: What makes a blog attractive to a reader? How can bloggers be genuine?