Blog

Scaling the Cliff

The climb just got steeper—much steeper. In fact the past few days I feel like I’ve been scaling a cliff.

I’ve been making revisions to my Genesis contest entry. Need I say anymore?

I’ve inched my way through the suggestions Tiffany Colter of Writing Career Coach gave me:

· Show with more intensity.
· Engage more sensory details.
· Cut the -ing verb endings.
· Heighten tension.
· Make the reader experience the inner debate.
· Turn clichés into original sentences.

I have labored over every comment (56 of them in 15 pages!).

This process of revision has pushed my writing muscles to the extreme, forced me to dig deeper, to think harder than I have in a long time. Revising is hard, hard work.

But do you know what I’ve discovered? I absolutely love it!

The adrenaline rush of scaling this particular cliff has pumped me with renewed determination. I’m ready for another.

Do you have any revision tips?

4 comments:

  1. Not sure I can add anything that Tiff didn't! Just remember to proof read! And read your entry out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gina! I've just recently found your blog and am looking forward to more of your advice there.I loved your Friday article at Seekerville!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jody,
    Everything you listed I was guilty of in my earlier manuscripts. It is a huge blessing to have honest advice about our writing. How can we avoid the same mistakes if we don't know we're making them?

    Wishing you scads of luck with the Genesis contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. -ing verbs.

    Ouch. Better check on that.

    ReplyDelete

© All the articles in this blog are copyrighted and may not be used without prior written consent from the author. You may quote without permission if you give proper credit and links. Thank you!