Blog

Releasing Guilt (Part 2)

As writers we're in a juggling act that often overwhelms us with feelings of guilt.

Here are a few more ways we can be diligent with our time and release our guilt at the Cross:
  • Multi-task: Double up on activities. I blog-hop during TV or movie time. We listen to books on tape while we eat. I usually plan my next writing assignment or scene of my book while I'm fixing dinner, greasy notebook and pen always on the counter.

  • Simplify: Find ways to reduce daily tasks or make them easier. I cook and freeze the ground beef and chopped chicken I need for the month all at one time which reduces meal prep time on a daily basis. Sometimes I double meals and freeze one for the next month. I've pared down the kids' clothes closets and toy bins which makes less to keep track of and put away.

  • Delegate: Let others have the chance to learn new tasks or take on new responsibilities. My husband has turned into a grocery shopper extraordinaire. My nine year old is learning to cook and loves being in the kitchen. My son is fully responsible for all aspects of the care of our dog. When I hand the baton to them, they take it and run.

Slowly but surely I've been able to block out more writing time and not feel guilty about it. What are your tips? I'd love to hear.

Guilt-free, part-three tomorrow. . .

8 comments:

  1. Delegate has long since been my mantra. Also double and triple tasking. Honestly, life is such a race somedays, in a hamster wheel sort of way... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! We have a couple of hamsters, so I know exactly what you mean!

    Sometimes I'm the one who has more trouble letting go of something I think only I can do right. When really my kids and husband are totally ready to step up and take the job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool idea to plan while cooking! These are great tips and I love how you give your kids responsibilities. That aids a lot, I think, in family unity. :-) Can't wait until mine are old enough to do chores! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica,
    I LOVE that my older kids can pitch in! In fact, I don't know how I would manage without their help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, I so needed this kind of guidance right now. Thank you for the tips!

    And thanks for visiting my blog! :) I appreciate your input.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I followed you here from Janna's. Good tips for getting more words down. I've read studies that show when we keep the hands/self busy with menial chores, the creative sides of our brains produce more and better ideas, so I try to keep paper & pen ready in the car, at kidlet sports events, driving, even in the tub.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Janna and Angie for stopping by today!

    Hope you were able to find some great writing time today. . .I'm off to finish 200 words before bed so that I can get my fabulous 500 in for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo! And I'm adding you to my reading list so I won't forget to check back in. (Brain's fuzzy at my age.)

    ReplyDelete

© All the articles in this blog are copyrighted and may not be used without prior written consent from the author. You may quote without permission if you give proper credit and links. Thank you!